OUR STUDIO

The Florence Art Studio is situated in the heart of the ancient center of Florence, only a few steps from the principal historic and artistic places of interest: the Duomo, Bargello, Badia, Piazza Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio, Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio, the Basilica of Santa Croce, and the house of Michelangelo , etc…
The Studio is located in the Palazzo Martini-Bernardi on via Ghibellina 121, in an area dense with historic palazzi, near the Bargello and directly in front of the Palazzo Borghese.
The palazzo is layered on a pre-existing medieval construction built by the ancient noble Florentine family the Baroncini. The re-design and construction was carried out in the Florentine Renaissance style. There is a debate as to whether the architect was Bernardino Ciurini (1695-1752), who in 1739 became the architect for the Opera del Duomo, or Giovan Battista Foggini (1652-1725) who became the “primo scultore & architetto primario” to the Grand Duke Cosimo III de’ Medici (1642-1723).
In 1914 the palazzo was designated to be of significant historical interest and in 1926 listed as a significant historical building.

FACILITIES

There are three studios, each an ideal working environment with high ceilings and illuminated by large north-facing windows. One studio space is dedicated to the live model and the other two are for studio practice. There is a dedicated service/work area, a small library and gallery, and a kitchen/service area.
The studios are also equipped with special computer controlled LED fixtures. This light fixture emits a spectrum of light simulating daylight at any moment in the day. LED’s emit neither infrared nor UV radiation and therefore they are extremely safe for people and the environment. The Florence Art Studio frescos, with a history dating back hundreds of years, will not be affected by this lighting.
The Studio has been renovated with in-floor radiant heating, providing an optimal level of comfort and air quality.

Fresco Restoration: The frescos have been completely restored under the supervision of the Soprintendenza Speciale per il Patrimonio Storico e Artistico. They date to the post-medieval construction and, like the building, underwent modifications in the 1700’s or 1800’s.